Our Step-by-Step Guide to Oil Pulling with Cocorinse
A couple weeks ago, we launched Cocorinse—our affordable, organic and ever-so-minty oil pulling packets. They’re perfectly portioned to fit right into your morning routine, or throw into a suitcase when you need to oil pull on-the-go.
But if you don’t already know what you’re doing, oil pulling can seem a little daunting. Here are our recommended steps, and some tips to tailor this naturally whitening and freshening experience.
Wondering why to oil pull? Read up on the benefits of oil pulling.
1. Warm up your Cocorinse packet.
Since coconut oil is a solid at most room temperatures, you may find that squeezing solid oil into your mouth feels a little like eating lip balm. This doesn’t bother everyone, so feel free to skip this step. Your mouth will melt the oil naturally.
If you’d prefer a more liquid texture, there are a few ways to warm up the packet:
- Hold the packet between your hands and squish it around. This won’t melt the oil completely, but it will make it a little more palatable.
- Tear open the packet slightly to release the air bubble, and place it in a small cup of warm water, with the top exposed, so water doesn’t get into it.
- Run the packet under warm water. To keep from wasting water, plug your sink and let it fill up a little. Then let the packet float in the warm water for a minute or two.
2. Open the packet, squeeze it into your mouth and start swishing.
On your first go, you might find that you don’t want to use the entire packet. That’s just fine! Not everyone has the same size mouth.
Pro tip: If you’ve been warming up the packet, dry it off before you tear it open. It’ll be easier to open when it’s not slippery.
3. Swish for 5-20 minutes.
Most oil pullers will say 10-20 minutes is the sweet spot, but five minutes per day is plenty to start with.
Use this time to get dressed, catch up on the morning’s news, learn to mime (you might need it to keep your kids moving), or just sit quietly and mentally prepare for the day.
As you swish, the oil will mix around with your mouth’s saliva and bacteria, and turn a milky white color. It will feel like more liquid than you started with.
4. Spit the oil into the trash.
You don’t want to swallow what you just pulled out. And because the oil will become solid again at cooler temperatures, it’s important to spit it in the trash instead of the drain.
5. Rinse with warm water.
You can skip this step, but it feels really, really nice. Take a drink of warm water, swish briefly and spit it out in the sink (the drain will handle it just fine).
Then, enjoy how smooth your teeth already feel!
6. Brush and floss as usual.
Please don’t skip this step. Oil pulling doesn’t replace regular brushing and flossing.
We’re a group of people passionate about unlocking the tools for a happy mouth and healthier you. We believe in simplicity, affordability and fun.